--OneTouchGold.com Offers Expert Articles, Recipes, Personalized Meal & Fitness Planners and Health Tips--
Milpitas, Calif., September 20, 2006 - According to a recent Harris Poll, 77 percent of adults in the U.S. are now online1, and other research shows that one in five Americans online feels that the Internet has greatly improved the way they get their information about health care2. But with so many medical and health Web sites available, it can be challenging to find sites that provide complete, accurate and up-to-date information. Now, a Web site created for the nearly 21 million Americans with diabetes is aiming to make it easier than ever for patients to get the latest news and comprehensive information about diet, exercise, medication, blood sugar monitoring and emotional well-being—all factors that play a key role in proper diabetes management.
OneTouchGold.com is produced by LifeScan, Inc., makers of the OneTouch® Brand Blood Glucose Monitoring Systems, as a one-stop source for diabetes patients, and their loved ones, who want to become more proactive in managing the disease and in living healthier lives. The site is particularly relevant today, as two-thirds of Type 2 diabetes patients have blood sugar averages that are out of control. The site provides visitors with a personalized meal plan, 1,000-plus diabetes-healthy recipes, and easy access to information that can help them avoid serious long-term complications associated with diabetes, including heart disease, blindness, amputation and kidney failure.
Registration is free and takes just a few minutes. The OneTouch® Gold program provides members with an "online magazine" of the latest diabetes information covering a range of categories including food, fitness, coping, complications, medicines, and blood glucose monitoring. In addition, the site offers health-related coupons, product samples, and a monthly sweepstakes. Users can access easy-to-understand, accurate information about diabetes topics—24 hours a day, seven days a week. The site also features monthly articles written exclusively for OneTouchGold.com by researchers at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and other experts in the field. In addition, members can elect to receive a monthly e-newsletter highlighting the latest diabetes news and health tips.
"A Web site like OneTouchGold.com is a welcome resource, as it provides comprehensive diabetes information in a simple, straightforward manner, and all in one place," said Lance Porter, editor of Diabetes Positive! "People with diabetes, and their loved ones, should be encouraged to educate themselves about the disease and about the lifestyle changes they can make to help them control their diabetes—and OneTouchGold.com cuts through the Internet clutter to provide them with the tools to do so."
Here are just a few of the helpful resources found on the site:
- The Food section has a database of more than 1,000 diabetes-healthy recipes. In addition, users can get an instant, personalized meal plan with recipes, a weekly shopping list and nutritional information tailored to their needs. The section also offers diabetes-healthy recipes timed to holidays, including Thanksgiving and Christmas. This November and December, for example, OneTouchGold.com will offer a free, 94-page, full-color downloadable book, Diabetic Recipes for the Holidays, from the publishers of Diabetic Cooking magazine.
- The Fitness section of OneTouchGold.com provides a quick, customized fitness plan that includes cardiovascular and strength training exercises for people at every level. This section contains articles and tips to help users create a realistic fitness program that can be maintained—for life.
- The Coping & Complications section provides the latest preventative information, and offers help and inspiration for dealing with the emotional side of the disease.
- The Meds & Monitoring section offers the latest in research and medical information—and makes it actionable and accessible to patients and their loved ones.
- The Special Offers category features monthly sweepstakes, coupons, product samples and downloadable health-related books.
For additional information or to register (free!), visit www.OneTouchGold.com.
LifeScan, Inc., a Johnson & Johnson company and a leading maker of blood glucose monitoring products, is dedicated to creating a world without limits for people with diabetes.