1. What is a charitable contribution?
Charitable Contributions are generally used for purposes other than healthcare professional education initiatives. Charitable Contributions may be in the form of cash or product donations.
A cash Charitable Contribution is a financial donation that is philanthropic in nature and provided to a non-profit organization to support community-based programs, camps projects, or events. A product donation is provided through specific product-giving programs to non-government organizations generally responding to disasters, medical relief efforts, and basic healthcare needs in under-served communities.
2. How do I submit an application for a charitable contribution?
A Charitable Contributions application can be submitted through our online process found in the Charitable Contributions section of this website.
3. How far in advance of an event should I submit the application?
You must submit your application at least 90 days prior to the event/program start date.
4. Can I expedite funding support for an activity coming up in a couple of weeks?
Each Charitable Contribution application undergoes the same evaluation criteria regardless of timing or amount requested. This independent review ensures that each request receives an appropriate and consistent level of attention. Applications cannot be approved retroactively.
5. How is the total amount of a charitable contribution determined and distributed?
The amount approved for funding is a result of the Charitable Contribution review process. Funding amounts may be based on project/event budgets, fair market value, organizational geographic scope, and merits of the request. This may be of an equal or lesser amount than requested in the application. LifeScan, Inc. may not have the resources to fund all Contributions requests it receives.
6. Can I work with my LifeScan or Animas sales representative to help me with my charitable contribution request?
Company employees are not to be involved with, assist, or act as a communication conduit for a Charitable Contribution request. All requests for support must be submitted through the online process from the non-profit organization. Additional questions may be directed to the Charitable Contributions Department at email@example.com.
7. What is the best way to be sure that my charitable contribution request will be approved?
While no one can guarantee that any charitable contribution request will be approved for funding, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with our eligibility requirements and application process on our Charitable Contributions page.
8. If approved, will my charitable contribution information be publically disclosed?
Yes, LifeScan and Animas disclose information about our funded Charitable Contributions.
9. What charitable contributions information is being disclosed?
LifeScan/Animas Inc. provides the name of the Charitable Contribution requestor; address, city and state where the requesting organization resides; title of the program/project; dollar amount of the Contribution; and the type of donation (cash or product).
10. What is the difference between a charitable contribution and an educational grant?
An Educational Grant falls into one of the following categories:
- Accredited Continuing Education: Educational programs for healthcare providers such as physicians, nurses, and/or pharmacists that provide continuing education credits.
- Non-Accredited Professional Educational Activities: Educational programs for healthcare providers such as physicians, nurses, and pharmacists that do not provide continuing education credits. As a condition for funding, to the extent LifeScan, Inc. products are discussed as part of such funded activities, LifeScan, Inc. requires that such discussion be done in a manner consistent with the FDA-approved labeling.
- Fellowships: Support for bona fide fellowship programs at teaching institutions, medical societies and cooperative groups. We may also support travel scholarships for fellows, residents or healthcare providers in training to attend relevant major medical or scientific conferences for the purpose of education. All support is in agreement with the AMA Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs Gifts to Physicians from Industry.
- Patient Education: Printed/online educational materials and/or live educational events produced for people living with a particular disease or condition.
Charitable contributions describe donation requests that are used for purposes other than healthcare professional education initiatives. Charitable contributions may be cash or product donations.
- A cash charitable contribution is a financial donation that is philanthropic in nature and provided to a non-profit organization to support a specific community-based (or regional/national) program, project, or event. Employee payroll deductions remitted by the company to a charitable organization are not reported as a contribution by the company.
- A product donation is provided through specific product giving programs to non-government organizations generally responding to disasters, medical relief efforts and basic healthcare needs in under-served communities.